Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering Company Limited is a listed company having presence across Defence Shipbuilding, Offshore, Commercial Shipbuilding and Ship Repair sectors. The Company has an orderbook in excess of USD 2.2 billion. The Company is the first private sector company in India to be granted the License to build ‘Frontline Warships’ at a shipyard which had the privilege of being inaugurated at the hands of none else than the Honorable Prime Minister of India on June 1, 2010
In a short span of time it has the following milestones to its credit:
- Successfully set-up India’s largest dock yard with capital investment of approx. Rs. 3,000 Crores and further Phase II of shipyard project (Dry Dock II) being implemented with additional project cost of about Rs. 4,000 Crore
- Built and delivered Five 74,500 DWT Panamax Bulk Carriers, the largest of its kind ever built in India
- First private sector shipyard in India to be awarded the License to build ‘Frontline Warships’ from the Government of India & received an order worth Rs. 2975 Crore from Indian Navy to build Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (‘Gun Boats’)
- Formed Joint Venture with Mazagon Dock Ltd for liquidating part of its existing orderbook of more than Rs. 100,000 crore. The JV company namely ‘Mazagon Dock Pipavav Defence Private Ltd’ stands duly incorporated;
- SAAB, Sweden has invested Rs. 200 crore in the Company, which is the first time that a Defence Focused Foreign Company has invested in India
- Formed Strategic Tie Up with prestigious Defence players like DCNS, France and SAAB, Sweden.
- First of its kind in India to adopt “MODULAR” approach to shipbuilding resulting in faster turnaround time;
Being categorized as one of the best facilities in the world it has:
- Dry Dock, 662 m x 65 m with a capacity to build and repair vessels of up to 400,000 DWT - the largest in India and the 2nd largest in world;
- Wet Dock, 680 m x 60 m;
- 2 Goliath Cranes, one of the biggest cranes in the world, with a combined lifting capacity of 1,200 tons;
- Fabrication facility over 21 lakh square feet, equipped with optimal automation, with optimum capacity of 144,000 MT/year - much higher than India’s total capacity of ~100,000 MT/year;
- Dedicated Offshore Building Yard
- Due to its strategic location on international maritime route between Dubai and Singapore provides an advantage to tap the ship and rig repair business from India and the Middle East;
- Strong management team with experts drawn from Japan, Korea & Singapore - considered as best in the industry.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Awarded with the prestigious Infrastructure Excellence Award 2010 – organized by CNBC TV18;
- Certified with the best International Standards: ISO 9001-2008, 14001-2004 (Environment, Health and Safety) and 18001-2007 (Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems)
Capabilities & Capacities:
- Capable of building and repairing various types and sizes of vessels including merchant ships such as VLCCs and large naval and coast guard vessels such as aircraft carriers as well as warships;
- Capable of building offshore facilities requiring heavy fabrication for offshore industry and executing other similar heavy engineering projects;
- Massive single location heavy engineering facility offering significant economies of scale.
Diversified Order Book of approx USD 2.2 Billion:
- Export Orders for Commercial Vessels –USD 649 Million: Orders for Panamax Bulk carriers of 74,500 DWT from international customers as also orders for mobile floating work platform and barges.
- Offshore orders – Rs. USD 838 Million: Orders for building Offshore Support Vessels (OSVs), building specialised Offshore Vessels, refurbishment of Oil Rigs from ONGC and European clients.
- Defence Orders –USD 681 Million: Orders for building Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (NOPVs) from Indian Navy and West African Clients.
- Pipavav Defence received very prestigious contract for the repair, maintenance and dry docking of oil rigs of ONGC. The Oil rigs namely “SAGAR LAXMI” is one of the critical oil rigs of ONGC for its offshore operations.
- In addition to the above, the company has recently received order valuing approximately about Rs. 1,000 crores for another rig refurbishment from ONGC.
- Further, the Company is evaluating several enquiries from Indian Navy, Ministry of Defence, Government of India amounting to over Rs. 50,000 crores.