Shipyard and Offshore Engineering Facilities
SKIL also conceived, initiated and commissioned Pipavav Shipyard, having the largest in India, and one of the largest in the world, state of the art Shipbuilding and Offshore Engineering Infrastructure. It also introduced for the first time in the country a MODULAR construction technique which results in producing quality ships with faster turnaround time. The yard is capable of building frontline warships namely destroyers, frigates, aircraft carriers, submarines etc. besides various type of commercial ships including VLCCs. It also has the capacity and capability to build and repair well head / process platforms, jack up / drilling rigs, FPSOs etc.
In a short span of time it has the following milestones to its credit:
- First private sector shipyard in India to be awarded the License to build 'Frontline Warships' by Ministry Of Defence, Government of India.
- First ever private sector Shipyard to have been awarded a contract to built war ships by Ministry Of Defence, Government of India
- Built and delivered several ICEe Class 75,000 DWT Panamax vessels, the first and largest of its kind ever built in India
Facilities Created at Pipavav:
Besides being the state of the art and one of the most modern infrastructure in the world, the scale of facility can be imagined by way of the size of its dry dock and allied manufacturing capacities and capabilities.
- Dry Dock, 662 m x 65 m with a capacity to build and repair vessels of up to 400,000 DWT - the largest in India and the 2nd largest in world;
- Wet Dock, 680 m x 60 m;
- 2 Goliath Cranes, one of the biggest cranes in the world, with a combined lifting capacity of 1,200 tons;
- Fabrication facility over 21 lakh square feet, equipped with optimal automation coupled with robotics, with fabricationcapacity of 144,000 MT/year - much higher than the total combined capacity of all shipyards in India put together.
Certifications and Awards:
- Certified with the best International Standards: ISO 9001-2008, 14001-2004 (Environment, Health and Safety) and 18001-2007 (Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems)
- Honoured with the prestigious Infrastructure Excellence Award 2010 - organized by CNBC TV18
Pipavav Shipyard was setup through an SPV namely Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering Limited which is now known as Reliance Naval and Engineering Limited after the takeover of the company by Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group in January 2016